Wednesday 18 July 2007

Anarchy in the UK!

Hello! I'm back.

I had a fantastic time in London. When we got there, our tour guide (Marion) got on the coach, and then talked continously until we got off the coach. That was fun.

We went on a quic tour round Shakespeare's Globe first. I zoned out during the guide's speech about performances, because I'd already learnt it all twice over in English, so I took to examining the actual theatre instead. It was all solid oak, and with the open roof it was realy pretty. I was surprised at how small it was, but apaprently that was so that all of the people in the topmost balconies were easily viewed from all angles. It was really quite interesting. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, though, so I'm afraid I can't show you!

We were then allowed to wander in and aorund the Globe- so we went off to Starbucks for a hot chocolate and a belgian chocolate brownie! (Felt a little ill after... But it was so worth it!) Then we were back on the coach with annoying Tour Guide in Pink off to the hotel.

After several wrong turns and views of Tower Bridge (It goes up in the middle, you know!) we finally arrived at Quality West Ham Hotel. Our room looked out over the pitch. Surprisingly, it was actually quite a nice hotel. We all had half an hour to get prettied up, then we went back to the centre of London for a meal at Planet Hollywood (burger and chips all round, chaps!) then onto a theatre (can't remember the name) to see The Woman in Black.

The two and a half hours we spent watching that play were the scariest two and a half hours I've ever spent anywhere. I nearly broke Kelly's fingers I was squeezing them that hard!

The basic story is that a solicitor has to go and investigate the house of a recently passed woman. As it goes on, you find out that this house is horribly haunted, with mysterious sounds of a rocking chair behind a locked door in the night and bloodcurdling screams on a regular basis. The 'Woman in Black' herself had a bonnet on to shadow her face, and she popped in under half light to frigten the living daylights out of everyone here and there. All in all, it was a very good play with amazing actors: and the most terrifying experience I've ever had!

We got back to the hotel, speed changed into pyjamas and all sat around chatting and winding down, then off to bed. At about 1am everyone was settled down and fast asleep, ready for the next day.

The next morning, my alarm did silly things and we slept in 3/4 of an hour longer than we intended. I was washed, dressed and makeupped in half an hour- a personal best! After a yummy breakfast (with sadly disappointing hash browns) we set off for the National Gallery. We were talked through three different paintings, and it was a lot more interesting that I imagined. The guide talked us through a painting that Grandma has- of a tugboat and a big ship in the sunset. Apparently that was a real event of a ship being taken to be destroyed.

We finished our tour about 15 minutes before the other group, so we grabbed a camera and took lots of pointless pictures in the lobby. We then went off to play in Trafalgar Square for ten mintues, so all the boys coud be all macho and try to climb the lions. I, needless to say, failed this. Then, on to Maxwell's. (Again, burger and chips all round. For some reason they decided that all vegetarians must want a giant mushroom in their burgers...) Thank goodness my burger was a spicy bean burger: most of the real burgers were very pink in the middle, causing a panic attack from a hypochondriac among us.

After leaving in a flurry to escape more poisoned food, we went shopping! I was, however, disappointed with Covent Garden. There were a lot of shops and market stalls: but most of which were tack. I counted about three worthwhile shops- two of which were too expensive for my £40 budget. I ended up in the H&M round the corner! I did manage a new t-shirt sporting the slogan 'Being mean is mean' from one of the expensive shops though: it was half price at £10.

Three hours later, we all gathered on the coach, very tired, ready to go home. Fun was had by all, and I can't wait to tell Mummy that they're thinking of a trip to New York that I simply must be on next year!

Pictures will be up soon, as soon as I upload them from Vicki's camera to my computer.

Love to all xxxx

6 comments:

weechuff said...

What an interesting blog Emily! I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Are you serious about New York or is it a wind up?

Babs (Beetle) said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun :O) I had to remind myself that you are not a Londoner and it was all a new experience for you. I spent many a lunch hour roaming around the national gallery. I went daily to view "The Sunflowers" when I was painting it.

New York is very scary!

Sindiesmiff said...

Gosh Emily, where you going to get the money for New York? Best you get a paper round my love!

Love Mummy X X X

weechuff said...

Can I assume that there won't be an update on here until you have finished your Harry Potter book Emily?

Croom said...

Wow what a very interesting blog Em! I really enjoyed reading it, it brought back memories. The play sounds just down my ally. Great Gran would have loved it in her day as well, has Mum told you that right up to the last month or so Great Gran loved nothing better than a horror. I get it from her I think. Can't wait to see the photos. Auntie T,xxx

Croom said...

Come on Emily, more please. I am waiting with bated breath

Auntie Tina
from Spain